The workshop was a platform for exchanging experience between EPPA beneficiaries and the EC representatives, the EU Member States experts from the Netherlands, Romania, Slovenia and promotion of best practices in the following fields:
- Implementation challenges of the Flood Directive,
- Flood protection and river restoration techniques,
- 2019 Report of the Fitness Check Evaluation of the Water Framework Directive and the Floods Directive by the European Commission,
- Flood prevention and management in Western Balkans,
- Initial results of the GiZ Project ‘Adaptation to Climate Change through Transboundary Flood Risk Management in the Western Balkans’,
- Room for the River Program and the Dutch experience,
- Coordination between Flood Risk Management Plan and River Basin Management Plan,
- Natural water retention measures – river restoration and several European case studies,
- Effects of river restoration on hydro- morphological and ecological processes and ecosystem services,
- Reducing water-related risks and consideration of green infrastructure as a way to tackle flood risk,
- Role of private insurance.
Emphasis was put on the importance of international cooperation under Floods Directive and coordination of efforts towards implementation both Floods Directive and Water Framework Directive.